Basic Vegetable Stock


This is my basic vegetable stock recipe. I use it in the vast majority of savory recipes I make. It's very easy but time consuming. However, once it's made, it remains usable for about 3 months in the freezer. The volume made by this recipe usually lasts me about 4-6 weeks since I use stock on average about 4 times a week.

I use all organic ingredients, so I haven't added the word organic before each ingredient. If you can afford organic ingredients, I highly recommend them!

Basic Vegetable Stock

1-2 onions
6-8 cloves of garlic
3-4 carrots
2 stalks of celery
1-2 large potatoes
1 bunch spinach
1 bunch kale
1 rutabaga
1 turnip
2 beets
1 green bell pepper
8-10 button mushrooms
2-4 Tbs dried herbs
1 cup vegan friendly white wine (optional)

Roughly chop all vegetables.

Add enough water to cover bottom of a 16-quart stock pot, add in flax seed, herbs, and peppercorns.  Pour wine in, if using, and allow to cook until wine becomes aromatic. Add all vegetables. Fill pot with water and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Once a simmer is reached, turn down to low and simmer for 6-8 hours. Turn off and allow to cool enough to handle easily.

In the freezer
Strain through a sieve and pour stock into freezer safe containers. I reuse jars that hold enough for most recipes. Be sure to leave room at the top for expansion as it freezes. Freeze immediately. 

Thaw in refrigerator or microwave when needed for recipes. The stock tends to be strong enough that if you need to add a little water to equal 2 cups for a recipe, you can without losing the flavor.



Note: While this is my basic recipe, I tend to use whatever vegetables I have on hand. There are times I’ll add in leeks or fennel bulbs or celeriac or hot peppers or fresh ginger or fresh turmeric or or sweet potatoes or a variety of other vegetables.

Buy the best quality stock pot you can afford. Stock is an essential ingredient  to have on hand. It's important to have a stock pot that will last for years always resulting in a quality stock. This is my second stock pot. It replaced one that wasn't the best quality and that lack of quality began to show over time. The one I'm currently using came from TJ Maxx, where it at a reasonable price.

Don't be afraid to experiment with vegetables you love or even those you don't necessary like all that much.

Enjoy!

Note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits