Vegetable Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce


I developed this recipe while attempting to replicate, or at least approximate, the Thai Bowl from Laughing Planet restaurant. While playing around with the ingredients used in that recipe and some others, I came up with this dish which is quite different than what I attempted to replicate. Still, it has become one of our favorite dishes, and I make it at least every other week. 

Inspiration often comes from what I eat and then takes me in a completely different direction than I expected. I'm sometimes quite surprised where I end up when I start playing with a recipe or a set of recipes.

Vegetable Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce

8-10 button mushrooms
1 green bell pepper
1 medium carrot
1 small head of cauliflower

1 cup green beans
1 garlic clove
½-inch piece fresh ginger
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon ground turmeric

Peanut Sauce

¼ cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 garlic clove
½-inch piece fresh ginger

Chop mushrooms, bell pepper, carrot, cauliflower, and green beans into pieces. Grate clove and ginger using a zester/grater.

Pour enough water into bottom of wok or saucier to cover the bottom. Add ground flax seeds and cook until it begins to thicken. Add turmeric and stir until dissolved. Add ginger and garlic clove. Stir until well combined.

Add mushrooms to pan and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add half of the pepper and the carrot. Stir constantly for 3-4 minutes. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes. Add green beans and cauliflower.

While the vegetables cook, make the peanut sauce. Grate the garlic clove and fresh ginger using a zester/grater. Add peanut butter, garlic, ginger, lime juice, and soy sauce to a small bowl (I like to use a 2-cup measuring cup). Whisk until smooth.

Liquid should still cover vegetables. If it doesn’t, add more. Bring back to a boil. Add noodles. Cook for 4-6 minutes until noodles are almost done.

Stir peanut sauce into vegetables and noodles, stirring to incorporate well. Heat through. The sauce will thicken a little as it warms up.

Serve.

Note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits