Cornbread

This week's post takes me back to my Kentucky roots. I played around with a couple of vegan cornbread recipes as well as adapting my basic cornbread recipe from before I became vegan. Nothing quite suited me at first. Then I read The Kind Diet by  Alicia Silverstone and was inspired by her cornbread recipe; however it was far too sweet for my taste. So I used inspiration from her recipe to adapt my original recipe and developed this recipe. It's still a bit sweet, and therefore works better with some dishes than others. I quite like it with most bean dishes. What could be more comfort food than beans and cornbread?


Cornbread
 
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
2 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 cups cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup hazelnut pulp (see hazelnut milk recipe)
½ cup molasses and maple syrup
4 drops hot sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet* in oven to heat while oven preheats.

Combine flaxseeds and hot water. Stir together. Set aside to thicken.

Whisk together hazelnut milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.

Mix together cornmeal, flour and baking soda.

Mix together flaxseed mixture and hazelnut milk mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add in maple syrup and hot sauce.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until well combined being careful not to overmix.

Remove cast iron skillet from the oven. Pour batter into the pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cornbread comes out clean.


* I always make my cornbread in a cast iron skillet, so I just consider that part of the recipe. I bought my first cast iron skillet, the one I'm still using, while I was in college for the express purpose of making cornbread.

Note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits