Dilly Lentils and Rice

This recipe is one of my go-to recipes when I've had a busy day and need to through together something quick that is also filling. I first tried this version because I smelled some fresh dill while I was deciding what to fix for dinner. The dill made me want something with dill, so I looked at the lentils in the pantry and the rice on the counter and shrugged. I pulled together some ingredients and fixed my first version of this recipe. Over time I honed it to this particular mix, which became a staple in my house.


Dilly Lentils and Rice

1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
¼ cup hot water
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper*
2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)

Rinse lentils well.

Rinse rice.

Pour hot water into a medium sauce pan. Add flax seeds and stir to combine. Cook 2-4 minutes. Add paprika, caraway seeds, and dill weed. Stir to combine. Allow to cook another 2 minutes. Mixture will begin to thicken slightly.

Add lentils to pan.

Add rice to pan.

Pour vegetable stock over the lentils and rice. Bring to a boil. Lower heat.

Simmer 20 to 30 minutes until water is absorbed and lentils are tender.

Serve.




Sometimes I like to top this recipe with a little red cabbage cut into ribbons and sprinkle a little lime juice over the top. 

On this particular evening, I opted to sprinkle a few dry toasted pine nuts on top. They add quite a nice flavor.

* I like to grind peppercorns by hand in a mortar and pestle, but a pepper grinder or ground pepper will work just as well.

Note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits