Buttery Potatoes and Cauliflower


I titled this recipe Buttery Potatoes and Cauliflower because it always reminds me of eating buttered boiled potatoes at my Grandma Stamm's house as a child. I really have no idea why because the two have very little in common beside the potatoes and the boiling. 

This recipe makes a wonderful side dish, but I often make it for my lunch. It's easy, quick, and contains an abundance of healthy ingredients. I make several different versions of it including a version that can serve as an entree. I will share those versions in coming months.


Buttery Potatoes and Cauliflower

4 medium potatoes*
1 medium carrot
1 small head cauliflower
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1 teaspoon no salt seasoning
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon caraway seeds
2 teaspoons dill weed

Cut potatoes, carrots and cauliflower into small pieces, bite size.

Add enough water to cover the bottom of a medium sauce pan. Add the flaxseeds and cook until mixture starts to bubble. Add no salt seasoning, paprika, turmeric, caraway seeds, and dill weed. Cook, stirring occasionally until spice mixture becomes fragrant and thickens.

Add potatoes and carrot. Stir to coat with spice mixture. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add vegetable stock to cover vegetables. If necessary, add a little water to make sure vegetables are covered. Bring to boil.

Turn heat down to medium and cook until potatoes and carrots almost soft enough pierce with a fork. Add the cauliflower. Cook a few more minutes until approximately one-third of the stock has evaporated.**

Turn down heat to a simmer.

Add nutritional yeast and stir until well incorporated.

Remove from heat.

Serve.

*I like to use purple potatoes for this recipe because of their anti-flammatory effects on the body, but the day I made these I used yellow potatoes because I had some left from the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) harvest box from Denison Farms. The recipe will work with any potato you like.

**This depends on personal taste. If you prefer a more liquid sauce, don’t let as much of the stock evaporate. You can also cover it while it cooks to keep more of the liquid in the pan.

NOTE: I use organic ingredients whenever possible, so I rarely use the word organic in my list of ingredients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie