Sweet Peanut Granola Bars


These granola bars work great for a breakfast on the run, a day hiking, or an afternoon golfing. They make an easy mid-afternoon snack or even a simple dessert. I might like them a bit too much. They never last very long around my house. This particular version is fairly sweet. As I mentioned in a previous recipe, maple syrup doesn't have the nutritional value molasses has; however, it enhances the flavor of these granola bars. Everything else in this recipe is included for its nutritional value as well as the flavor.


Sweet Peanut Granola Bars

1 banana, mashed
2 tablespoons molasses
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon*
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon cardamom
¼ teaspoon nutmeg**
Pinch of ground cloves
1 tablespoon goji berries
2 tablespoons dried blueberries
1 tablespoon cacao nibs
1 teaspoon hemp seeds
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a square baking pan (8x8 or 9x9) with parchment paper.

Mix together peanut butter, banana, molasses, maple syrup, and vanilla. Beat by hand until smooth and fully incorporated. Stir in spices until well blended. Stir in flaxseeds.

Stir in oats in batches until well distributed.


Fold in berries, cacao nibs, and hemp seeds.

Press mixture into pan until evenly spread across the pan.

Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on preferred texture. Less time will be chewier. More time will be firmer. Top should be brown.

Let cool in the pan until completely cool, approximately for 20-30 minutes.

Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.


* I use Ceylon cinnamon because its safer than cassia cinnamon. I also buy whole cinnamon and grind it myself because I think it tastes better. See Dr. Gregor's video for more information on the four types of cinnamon, the benefits of cinnamon, and the safety of cinnamon.

** I use whole nutmeg and grate it on a microplane zester.

Note: I use as many organic ingredient as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients. I encourage you to also use as many organic ingredients as you can.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits