Miso Shiitake Soup

I often make Miso Shiitake Soup on days when I'm busy and need something I can make quickly. It's a refreshing soup that can be eaten during any season. It's as warming on a cold, winter day as it is refreshing on a hot, summer day. It has a comfort food feel to it, so I often also make it when I'm feeling a bit under the weather, for example when a cold is coming on. 

Miso Mushroom Soup

1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 pound shiitake mushrooms*
1 medium carrot
2 ounces soba noodles
10 ounces firm tofu**
½ cup miso***

If using frozen vegetable stock, thaw first.

Chop mushrooms into bite-size pieces. Grate carrot. Cut tofu into small pieces. Tear nori sheets into small pieces.

Add enough water to cover bottom of 6-quart pot. Add flaxseeds. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add stock. Bring to a boil.

Add mushrooms. Cook on medium-high heat for 4 minutes.

Add carrots.

Spoon miso into a 2-cup measuring cup or small bowl. Add ½ cup broth to miso careful not include any mushrooms. Whisk until well blended. Stir into soup.

Break noodles half. Add to soup. Cook 2 minutes.

Add tofu. Cook 4 minutes.

Add nori sheets. Cook 2 minutes.

Serve hot.

*While I have used other mushrooms in this soup in a pinch, shiitakes really work the best.

**I always buy firm tofu from the refrigerated section because I think it has a better flavor and it tends to have fewer preservatives in it.

*** I use a brand of miso called South River that I buy locally. I did link to a jar of miso, but I'd recommend trying to find one in the refrigerator section of your local grocery store with minimal ingredients used in the making. As for type of miso, I use the full spectrum depending on my mood when I'm making it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie