Whole Wheat Stout Bread


This might not be the healthiest bread I've ever made, but it is tasty and easy to make. It goes particularly well with bean recipes, such as my Orca Bean Mushroom Stew (recipe coming soon).
I often make this bread when I need to make a quick bread because it doesn't require rise time yet the stout gives it a flavor slightly reminiscent  of yeast.


Whole Wheat Stout Bread

2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
2 tablespoons hot water
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup date sugar
2 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
16 ounces stout beer*



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(I often use a cast iron bread pan. If using one, place it in the oven to heat while oven preheats.)

Mix ground flaxseeds and hot water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken.

Mix  flour, baking powder, oats, date sugar, and caraway seeds in large mixing bowl. Stir in thickened flaxseed mixture. Stir in beer.
 
Spread dough in pan.

Bake for 55-60 minutes or until top is golden brown and crusty.

Cool in pan for 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on cooling rack until completely cool – 15-30 minutes.




*The beer in the photo is a chocolate stout left over from my Chocolate Stout Cupcakes (recipe coming soon), but I usually just use a regular stout for this recipe. And, for those wondering, my research shows this chocolate stout is vegan friendly. Not all are though so choose your stout, chocolate or not, carefully.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie