Pecan Pumpkin Pie with Persimmmons



The first time I made pumpkin pie using a pumpkin instead of canned pumpkin I was in college. I called my Grandma Stamm long distance and she patiently talked me through the process. My pumpkin pie has definitely changed over the years, but every time I make a pumpkin pie I remember that first time with fondness. Creating a vegan pumpkin pie was a must do when I started eating a plant-based diet.


Pecan Pumpkin Pie with Persimmons

1 small pie pumpkin
2 persimmons
1 cup date sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon cardamom (optional)
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch ground cloves
1 ½ cups walnut milk
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 vanilla bean (optional)
1 cup pecans

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

If using vanilla bean, slice down the middle and scrape insides out. Discard outer husk.

Peel and seed pumpkin. Cut into ¼ inch pieces.

Pull top off persimmons and squeeze persimmon fruit out.

Mix ingredients except milk mixture and pecans together in large bowl.
 
Place mixture in heavy duty blender, such as a Vitamix, or a foodprocessor. Add milk mixture

Process until it reaches a smooth puree consistency. Can split into two batches if necessary.
 
Pour into prepared Pie Crust with Pecan Butter. Arrange pecans on top of pumpkin pie filling.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Bake for 40-50 degrees until firm and a knife or chopstick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 2 hours on counter. Place in refrigerator to finish cooling, at least another 1-2 hours.

Serve.

Keep refrigerated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits