Pie Crust with Pecan Butter


Pie crust can be a tricky thing to make, but I really wanted to make a pumpkin pie with a crust, so I got busy. As you can see I got a little excited about the crust and started adding the pie filling before I took a picture of the the crust. I was so happy my idea worked I actually did a little dance in the kitchen. I love finding creative ideas to make recipes fit my desires and my needs. I anticipate using this pie crust recipe for a multitude of pies in the coming months.

Pie Crust with Pecan Butter

1/2 chilled pecan butter
2 tablespoons date sugar
8-10 tablespoons water

Place the flour and date sugar in a bowl and whisk together. Add pecan butter.

Cut into the flour until mixture becomes crumbly. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture comes together and forms a ball. Be careful to not overmix. An overworked crust will become tough.

Place crust in the refrigerator and chill for 20-30 minutes.

Spread a little flour on a clean and dry surface. Use a rolling pin to spread the dough into a circle a bit larger than the pie pan lifting it from the counter and turning it one quarter turn to keep the circular shape.

Flip one side of the dough over the other and gently lift to place in the pan. Spread over pan and position in the pan. Trim off the overhanging edges and pinch the edges to form the crust design you desire or use a fork to press the edges into a design.

If pie doesn’t require a reheated crust, pierce the crust with a fork in several places. Add filling and bake according to pie instructions.

If making a pie that needs a pre-cooked crust, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pierce the crust with a fork in several places. Bake crust for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 400 degrees and cook a few more minutes until crust is lightly browned.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits