Cajun Black Lentils with Black Rice


I developed this recipe after watching some videos about lentils and rice on nutritionfacts.org. I wanted to use black rice, and I liked the idea of pairing it with black lentils. I was surprised at how much I liked the combination. I've used this pairing with a variety of spices including this recipe with Cajun spices. I really like this dish particularly with a very simple salad as an accompaniment.


Cajun Black Lentils with Black Rice


1 cup black rice
1 small red onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
¼ cup hot water
1 tablespoon Cajun spice mix
1 tablespoon dried cilantro
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon no salt seasoning
2 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)

Rinse lentils well.

Rinse rice.

Finely dice onion and garlic cloves.

Pour hot water into a medium sauce pan. Add flax seeds and stir to combine. Cook 2-4 minutes. Add Cajun spice mix, paprika, cilantro, cilantro, bay leaf, and no salt seasoning. Stir to combine. Allow to cook another 2 minutes. Mixture will begin to thicken slightly.

Add lentils to pan.

Add rice to pan.

Pour vegetable stock over the lentils and rice. Bring to a boil. Lower heat.

Simmer 20 to 30 minutes until water is absorbed and lentils are tender.

If using, dry saute the pine nuts in a small skillet.

Serve lentils. Top with pine nuts, if using.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits