Paprika Tempeh & Potatoes


This recipe was born from a paprika chicken I used to make a long time ago. I decided to see if  I could use the basic idea behind it to create a plant-based version of it. I started playing with it and after several versions I settled on this one. The original recipe called for something like a cup of white wine. I thought that was too much, so I cut it down a little bit each time until I got to 1/4 cup and added more vegetable stock each time to make up the difference. That worked nicely, but I also wanted to try a wine-free version, so I made it without the wine. While omitting the wine does change the flavor slightly, it's almost unnoticeable. Still, I left the wine in the recipe as optional. I  made another quite large change regarding the cabbage. The original recipe called for cooking the cabbage with the rest of the food, but I really don't like cooked cabbage. I do, however, like raw cabbage, so I changed it up. The raw cabbage adds a freshness to it that cooked cabbage just can't.


Paprika Tempeh & Potatoes

1 pound tempeh

¼ cup water
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 medium red onion
1 medium carrot
1 ½ tablespoons paprika
8 small purple potatoes
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 24 ounce jar tomato sauce
¼ cup white wine (optional)
1 – 1 ¼ cups vegetable broth
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup hazelnut milk
2 teaspoons hazelnut pulp
1 teaspoon chia seeds

Mix together hazelnut milk, hazelnut pulp, and chia seeds and set aside.

Dice tempeh into ½ inch pieces. Dice onion. Chop carrot into small pieces. Cut potatoes into approximately ½-inch pieces.

Add water to a saucier pan, bring to a boil, and add ground flax seeds and cook until it begins to thicken. Add tempeh and cook until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add a little more water, if necessary, add in onion and carrot. Cover and cook until onion is softened, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the paprika, potatoes, tomatoes, wine (if using) and the broth. If using wine, use one cup of broth. If not using wine use 1 ¼ cups water. Stir well. Bring to a boil. Add in pepper.

Reduce heat to medium, add tempeh, and simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are tender.

Quickly stir in the hazelnut mixture and remove from the heat.

Serve in bowls and top with raw cabbage.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie