Blueberry Spice Spelt Muffins


Baking can be a challenge for vegans, particularly those of us who try to base our diet around whole foods as much as possible. I've played around with several recipes for muffins, cakes, cupcakes, scones, and other baked goods. In the process I've come up with several iterations of several of these items. For blueberry muffins alone, I've created at least 4 recipes. I'll share them over time because they're different enough to stand on their own. I love baking, and I love creating new twists on old favorites. I don't bake blueberry muffins as often as I'd like to because it seems like it's one of those items we find it far too easy to overindulge in...

Blueberry Spice Spelt Muffins


1 cup hazelnut milk, or other plant-based milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
2 tablespoons hot water
2 cups spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon (Ceylon)

½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon matcha powder (optional)
½ cup hazelnut pulp**
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cacao nibs (optional)
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with unbleached paper muffin cups or silicone liners.

In a small bowl, mix together hazelnut milk and vinegar until it bubbles. Set aside.

Mix together flaxseeds and hot water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Cut in the flaxseed mixture. Create well in the middle of this mixture.

Add the hazelnut pulp, maple syrup, and vanilla to the hazelnut milk mixture. Stir together.

Pour liquid mixture into center of dry ingredients.

Gently combine wet ingredients and dry ingredients until all dry ingredients are moistened being careful not to over mix. Fold in blueberries.

Fill each muffin up three-quarters of the way to the top.

Bake for 22-26 minutes or until top bounces back when pressed gently.

Let muffins cool completely, about 20 minutes, before serving.***







*I like to use the frozen organic wild blueberries from Trader Joe's because they are small and sweet.

** When you make hazelnut milk the leftovers after all the liquid is squeezed out is the hazelnut pulp. A small amount of nut butter can be substituted if using store-bought plant-based milk.

*** I chuckle a little when I give the conventional step of letting the muffins cool completely because I can't remember the last time I managed to do that. I like my muffins still warm when I eat them.

Note: A great way to warm up leftover muffins is to pop them in the oven and turn the oven on to 350 degrees. By the time, it reaches 350 degrees, the muffins are the perfect temperature - at least that's how it works in my oven.

Note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits