Marinara Lentil Pasta in One Pot


I make Marinara Lentil Pasta in One Pot so often I hadn't realized I hadn't written the recipe down until I decided to post it this week. I went in search of the recipe, and it wasn't in my recipe files! This is a quick, easy to make recipe that is filling and comforting. It's delicious by itself or with a salad.

I love cooking pasta right in the pan both with the other ingredients without pre-boiling it for the convenience and the flavor. On top of that, you don't end up with a full pot of water to either throw away or repurpose!


Marinara Lentil Pasta in One Pot

1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds

1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup brown lentils
½-1 cup red wine (optional)
4 ounces vegan friendly pasta**
Fresh basil (optional)

Rinse lentils and set aside.

Add enough water to a saucier to cover the bottom of pan, about ¼ cup. Bring to a boil. Stir in flaxseeds. Cook until starts to thicken, stirring if necessary.

Add herbs to the flaxseed mixture and stir until well combined. Add lentils and stir to coat with herbs. Add stock. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the lentils are soft, about 20-30 minutes.

Chop fresh basil, if using. Set aside.

Add red wine to lentils and stir to combine.

Add marinara sauce. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

Add pasta.

Add water to think out if too thick. The pasta needs some liquidity to cook.

Cook until pasta is done, usually 1-2 minutes longer than package instructions indicate. Watch the pasta closely to avoid undercooking or overcooking it.

Stir in nutritional yeast.

Place in bowls and top with fresh basil.

Serve.






*These link to my homemade versions of both.

** The pasta I linked to here is considered vegan friendly though I have to admit I've begun to veer away from using it for two reasons. 1) It is made in a factory where egg noodles are made and there is a potential, though low, of cross contamination. 2) It comes in a plastic container that is destined for the landfill. 

Maybe someday I'll start making my own pasta, but I'm not quite there yet.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie