Strawberry Muffins


This recipe grew out of an attempt to make a cupcake recipe using a strawberry stout I found at the grocery store; however, the strawberry flavor in the stout was negligible and the stout, frankly, didn't taste all that good - I ended up using it on my hair, but that's a different story for a different day. So after several attempts, I ended up with this muffin recipe. 
I find it fun to play with the ingredients until I get a recipe that works. 

I am most appreciative to Kate, Ben, and Loay for tasting various versions of this muffin and giving me honest, constructive, and kind feedback on its evolutionary path!

Strawberry Muffins

1 pint very ripe fresh strawberries*

2 Tbs flaxseeds
2 Tbs hot water
2 cups spelt flour
½ cup cashew milk**
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup cashew pulp***
1 cup dried strawberries****

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Hull the fresh strawberries. Puree strawberries in a blender. Set aside

Whisk together flax seeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.

Sift or whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.

Whisk together cashew milk and flaxseed mixture in a four cup measuring cup. Add maple syrup and cashew pulp. Whisk until well combined. Gently stir in strawberry puree.

Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed.

Add dried strawberries and fold in gently.

Use an ice cream/muffin dough scoop to fill each muffin cup 3/4 full.

Bake 20-24 minutes until muffins bounce back when lightly pressed.

Cool in pan for 5 minutes.


Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely, 20-30 minutes.

* The riper the strawberries the more pronounced the strawberry flavor will be.

** I specify cashew milk and cashew pulp because other milks and pulps were too pronounced and muted the strawberry flavor.

*** I also tried this with a cashew butter which worked okay though the muffin was a bit denser. I really preferred the cashew pulp for the texture and the no-waste option since it's left over when making cashew milk anyway.

**** I tried this with both commercial dried strawberries and homemade. The homemade were far better. If you can't make homemade, try to find strawberries with no added sugar or oil as both will affect the taste and nutritional value of the muffin.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible, so I rarely specify organic in my ingredients list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie