Cashew Milk


Nut milks are great for a variety of purposes. I like different ones for different recipes. I made cashew milk to test in a recipe I'm working on in which other nut milks seem to overpower more delicate flavors. It also worked wonderfully to make a cold brew latte .

Variety is important as is knowing how ingredients interact with one another.

Many times nut milks and other plant-based milks can be easily substituted for one another in a recipe. It's important though to know how the flavors will interact with one another when making substitutions. Sometimes the only way to find out is to experiment, so play with the options. That's right I'm encouraging you to play with your food.


Cashew Milk

4 cups water

Soak cashews overnight.

Pour cashews and soaking water into blender. Blend, slowly increasing speed to high, until well blended.

Place a nut milk bag in a large mouthed pitcher. Pour liquid into nut milk bag. Squeeze bag to extract as much liquid as possible.

Place milk in an airtight container.* Place cashew pulp** in a separate airtight container.

Store in the refrigerator.

* You can store nut milk in a pitcher, but I've found it often absorbs odors from inside the fridge. Also, the nut milk will usually need to be gently shaken before used to remix the contents, so I recommend an airtight container. I use an old glass bottle that once contained juice. 

**Cashew pulp is quite wet unlike some of the other pulps leftover after making nut milks. It reminds me of the texture of softened butter.

Note: I use organic ingredients in my recipes whenever possible, so I rarely label the ingredients as organic in my ingredients list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie