Chocolate Stout Cupcakes


I developed this recipe a bit by accident. I had leftover stout beer in the refrigerator from another recipe and not quite enough plant based milk to try my idea for making chocolate cupcakes. I'd already started making them when I realized I didn't have enough plant based milk, so I added in the stout to make up the difference. We really liked what the stout added to the cupcakes, so I tried buying a chocolate stout and making it with that. It worked even better. Thus was born my Chocolate Stout Cupcakes, which are a bit on the indulgent, perhaps even decadent, side. I don't make them often for that reason, but I made them for my birthday as well as my husband's this year!

Chocolate Stout Cupcakes

2 ounces dark chocolate*
¾ cup almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
¼ cup chocolate stout beer**
2/3 cup date sugar
¼ cup almond pulp
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened cacao powder*
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cardamom
1 pinch of cayenne powder
½ cup cacao nibs or chocolate chips (optional)*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffinpan with liners, paper or silicon.

Melt chocolate in double-boiler. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and vinegar. Set aside for a few minutes. Stir in stout, date sugar, almond pulp, vanilla, and cooled melted chocolate.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients, one half at a time, and beat until no lumps remain. If desired, stir in cacao nibs.

Scoop the batter into the muffin pan, filling each cup ¾ full. 

Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until the top bounces back when pressed lightly with a finger.

Cool in pan for 8-10 minutes.

Remove from the pan and let cook on a cooling rack for about 20 minutes.

*Many chocolates aren't vegan friendly, so read labels carefully.

** Many beers aren't vegan friendly and most labels won't have that information, so check with a reputable source, such as Barnivore.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie