Walnut Milk

Every time I post a recipe I think of a building block recipe like Walnut Milk, I feel like I should post more recipes than one. This time however, I'm going to fight that urge. These recipes, though building blocks, can also be used as stand alone recipes for those who use or drink nut milks. Most nut milks are fairly similar.




Walnut Milk

1 cup walnuts
4 cups water

Place walnuts in a small bowl and pour water over the almonds. Allow to soak 8-12 hours.

Place walnuts and soaking liquid in a blender, such as a Vitamix. Add 4 cups of water. Blend until the liquid turns white increasing the speed slowly.

Place a nutmilk bag in a pitcher and pour blended walnut mixture into the nut milk bag. Twist the bag wringing out as much liquid as possible.

Place walnut pulp* from the nut milk bag into an airtight storage container. It can be refrigerated or frozen for later use.

Pour the walnut milk into an airtight container. Refrigerate.

Walnut milk will usually last about one week in the refrigerator. It can be frozen for later use.

Making your own nut milks guarantees you know what is in the milk and there are no added preservatives or other chemicals that just aren't necessary or are even perhaps unhealthy.



*Walnut pulp is much softer than other pulps from nut milk. In addition, it will also produce less pulp than other nut milks.

Note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits