Peanut Butter Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Loay asked me to create a vegan oil-free oatmeal cookie. I did what I always do when I want to create a recipe. I read several recipes. I looked at what worked and what made sense. I thought about what I could substitute for various ingredients. I wrote it up, did a bit more research, and then tweaked the recipe. Finally, I made them and was surprised with how well they turned out the very first time I made them. I waited a few weeks, pulled out the recipe and made them again. I only needed a couple of very minor tweaks, so here is the recipe! This might be the healthiest cookie I've ever made, at least thus far.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

2 tablespoons ground flax seeds

2 tablespoons hot water
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup date sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup raisins
2 tablespoons mini-chocolate chips, optional*

Mix together flax seeds and hot water. Set aside to thicken.

Whisk together flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Set aside.

Mix together peanut butter, plant-based milk, date sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and flax seed mixture until creamy.

Stir in flour slowly until just combined. Stir in oats and raisins. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Mixture will be very thick.**


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a cookie dough scoop, scoop the cookie dough unto baking sheet. If desired, roll each ball in hands until smooth. Then lightly press each cooking to spread it a bit.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges brown and middle is firm.

Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on baking sheet.

Move to cooling rack to finish cooling.

* You could also use cacao nibs though they won't melt the way chocolate chips do.

** I find it easier to do the last bit of mixing with my hands than with a spoon, so don't be afraid to get your hands in the dough.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits