Black Bean Brownies

I made my basic black bean brownies this week. I'd forgotten these aren't as sweet as traditional brownies. I was also out of both cacao nibs and mini chocolate chips, so I used a bit of a chocolate bar I had in the refrigerator. I don't think it worked quite as well, but sometimes that's what happens when you cook.  


Black Bean Brownies

2 cups cooked and drained black beans
2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
2-4 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoon ground flax seeds
2 tablespoons water
½ cup cacao powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
¼ teaspoon cardamom, optional
¼ cup cacao nibs or mini chocolate chips, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix flax seeds and 2 tablespoons water. Set aside to thicken slightly.

Place all ingredients except cacao nibs in a food processor. Process until smooth. Mixture will be thick. If mixture is too dry or thick add water a tablespoon at a time until consistency is smooth.

Add cacao nibs or chocolate chips and pulse 2-4 times until incorporated into mixture.

Spread in an square baking pan. Bake 18-20 minutes until set. Be careful to not overbake.

Allow to cool in pan for at least 20 minutes.


Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits