Chocolate Mint Julep Cupcakes

I developed this recipe several years ago when I was feeling a bit homesick for Kentucky. It combines the mint and bourbon in a mint julep with lots of chocolate. Every time I make it for a party, it's a big hit with vegans as well as non-vegans. My Daddy even really liked it when I made it while in Kentucky in December for my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary. Several have asked for the recipe. I'm not sure if they doubt it's vegan or if they really just like the cupcakes that much. I use quite a few healthier ingredients in it than you'd normally find in a cupcake; however, I am well aware that bourbon isn't exactly a health food. If you abstain from alcohol, this recipe probably isn't for you because you can detect the bourbon in it. It's definitely an indulgence.


Vegan Chocolate Mint Julep Cupcakes



1 cup hazelnut milk (or other plant based milk)
¼ cup bourbon*
2/3 cup date sugar (or other dry sweetener)
1 tablespoon fresh mint
¼ cup hazelnut butter
1 teaspoon mint extract
½ cup unsweetened cacao powder
¾ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup cacao nibs or vegan chocolate chips (optional)**

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffinpan with liners or sprinkle cocoa powder in bottom of each muffin cup.

Melt chocolate in double-boiler. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and vinegar. Let sit for a few minutes until bubbly. Stir in bourbon, fresh mint, date sugar, hazelnut butter, mint extract, and melted chocolate.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cacao powder, baking soda, and baking powder.

Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients, one half at a time, and beat until no lumps remain. Stir in cacao nibs or chocolate chips if using.

Scoop the batter into the muffin pan, filling each cup ¾ full. 

Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or the top bounces back when pressed lightly with a finger. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.

Remove from the pan and let cook on a cooling rack for about 20 minutes.

*I use Woodford Reserve Bourbon, which, at the time I started using it was listed as vegan friendly on Barnivore. However, when I checked it today, it seems Woodford's latest comments are more ambiguous about their vegan friendliness. I hope this is a glitch.

**If you're not used to eating cacao nibs, I highly recommend you make this with the chocolate chips as the cacao nibs can take a bit of getting used to. I make it with chocolate chips when I take it to parties, but I generally make it with cacao nibs when I make it for us to eat at home.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie