Hazelnut Butter


I usually only make hazelnut butter when I need it for a specific recipe. I'm not sure why because it also tastes good spread on bread, drizzled over fruit, or with chocolate. I suppose I just don't think of it unless I have a specific recipe in mind. It is a bit more work than peanut butter or almond butter, but it has a distinct flavor.






Hazelnut Butter

4 cups hazelnuts

Spread hazelnuts on a large sheet pan or cookie sheet with a rim.

Roast hazelnuts at 350 degrees until skins begin to brown and fall off, about 10-15 minutes.*

Remove from oven.

Spread on a lint-free towel. Let cool until easily handled. Turn the sides of the towel over the nuts and begin to rub them together to remove as a much of the skin as possible.**

Place in a food processor and blend until smooth and buttery. The hazelnut butter might seem a bit too liquefied, but it will firm up some once placed in the refrigerator.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.***

* Roasting is necessary both to bring out the flavor of the hazelnuts and to loosen the skins so they can be removed. Raw hazelnuts and roasted hazelnuts taste very different from one another.

**I don't mind some skins in the nut butter, so I tend to not get overly diligent about this process. I put the skins in my compost when I'm finished.

***I reuse a glass jar, such as an old peanut butter jar.

NOTE: I use organic ingredients whenever possible, so I rarely use the word in my ingredients list.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie