Lobster Mushroom Paella


I first ate paella while in Barcelona, Spain in 2002. I knew I had to put my own spin on it when I got home, so I did. Over the years, I've made several versions. When I decided to adopt a plant-based diet, I decided to come up with a vegan version. This is one of the vegan versions I've made. This one requires a particular mushroom, the lobster mushroom, that isn't always easy to find. When I found it this week at The First Alternative Co-op in Corvallis, I knew immediately that my plans for Thanksgiving dinner had just changed! I made my Lobster Mushroom Paella for Thanksgiving dinner served with a pumpkin pie for dessert (recipe coming soon). 

May the coming year be filled with daily gratitude for the journey we're all taking to become our best selves. And may we never forget to view history through not only our lens but the lenses of others.

Lobster Mushroom Paella

1 tablespoon flaxseeds

1 shallot
2cloves garlic
1 red pepper
2 medium carrots
8 ounces lobster mushrooms*
4 ounces button mushrooms
1 package tofu
8 ounces green beans
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon saffron
1 teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon turmeric

Mince shallot and garlic. Chop pepper, carrots, and mushrooms. Cut tofu into bite-size chunks. Cut green beans into pieces.

Soak sundried tomatoes in hot water until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain tomatoes and reserve soaking liquid.

In a paella pan or a large skillet, add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Add flax seeds. Cook for a few minutes to thicken. Add marjoram, paprika, turmeric, and oregano. Stir to combine.

Add in shallot and garlic. Stir to combine. Cook for 2-4 minutes. Add pepper and carrot. Cook 2 more minutes. Add mushrooms and tofu. Stir to combine well. Cook 2-4 minutes. Add green beans, sundried tomatoes, and soaking liquid.

Add rice to pan. Add vegetable stock and saffron.

Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and simmer for 40-50 minutes until rice is fully cooked.

Serve.

* Lobster mushrooms work really well in this dish because they are reminiscence of seafood and have a similar color to a lobster, hence the name. They provide a nice texture to the dish as well.

** I know that technically you should use a short grain rice for paella, and you certainly can. Cook time should be a bit shorter if you do, so adjust accordingly. However, we prefer brown basmati rice as a general rule, so I usually have it on hand and don't buy a special rice for this dish. I try to use what I keep in the pantry as much as possible.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

  1. I also was in Barcelona and had it for the first time and loved it thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits