Hot Spiced Apple Cider

This week didn't go to plan regarding making a recipe to post because I forgot to buy some key ingredients. I was a bit frustrated about it, but life goes on. As I thought about what to do to salvage my post for the week, I stepped outside for a few minutes. The chill in the air made me crave Hot Spiced Apple Cider, so I decided I'd just share my recipe for anyone else who needs a warm treat on a cold winter day.



Hot Spiced Apple Cider

2 cups apple cider*
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon**
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 whole cloves
2 cardamom pods***
1 whole small star anise, optional


Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan or Turkish coffee pot

Bring to a simmer stirring often, especially until the powdered spices are incorporated. Be careful not to bring it to a full boil. 

Simmer for 6-10 minutes, stirring often to infuse the spices.


Remove the whole spices, or strain, if desired.

Pour into cups. 

Serve.

* Apple cider is a fruit juice and therefore isn't necessarily the healthiest option, but it makes a nice, warm treat on cold days. It's always better to get one's fruit as a whole food whenever possible. I never count this toward my fruit servings for the day.

** I often use a small stick of Ceylon cinnamon instead of cinnamon powder, but I didn't have any today. Either works well.

*** If you prefer, you can use a pinch of ground cardamom instead of the cardamom pods.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits