Berry Banana Steel Cut Oats for One

One of my favorite breakfasts is steel cut oats. I eat steel cut oats several times a week with different mixes of fruit and berries. This recipe tends to be my go-to recipe because I almost always have these ingredients in the house, but feel free to mix it up with your favorites. Making it for two people is just as easy.


Berry Banana Steel Cut Oats for One

¼ cup water
1 teaspoon ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup water
1 dried whole banana
1-2 tablespoons dried goji berries
1-2 tablespoons dried mulberries
1-2 tablespoons dried blueberries
1-2 tablespoons dried cherries
½ teaspoon cacao nibs
2 tablespoons walnuts
½ teaspoon hemp seeds

Heat ¼ cup water in a small saucepan. Add flax seed and cook 1-2 minutes. Add spices and stir in. Cook until mixture starts to thicken.

Add in steel cut oats. Stir to coat oats with spices. Add 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat to low, cover, and simmer 8-10 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.

Cut banana into small chunks with a pair of kitchen scissors.

Add dried fruit and cacao nibs. Cook 4-6 minutes until fruit has slightly hydrated and oats are at desired consistency.

Spoon into bowl. Add nuts and hemp seeds.

Tip: I like to use my fingers to pinch off the tops of whole cloves and crumble them between my fingers. I clove top is generally enough for one person.

Tip 2: I like to use whole nutmeg. I shred it using a lemon zester.

Note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits