Cold Brew Hibiscus Tea


I drink a large glass of hibiscus tea every evening with dinner with few exceptions. It's easy to make, tastes good, and has some health benefits. I first tried hibiscus in a couple of different restaurants as additions to other drinks. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't consider making it myself until I watched  Is Hibiscus Tea Good for You? and learned it contains more antioxidants than even matcha tea. I really didn't like the recipe in the video, so I created my own. I wanted something simpler and without any sweetener. This is about as simple as it gets.

Cold Brew Hibiscus Tea

2-4 tablespoons organic hibiscus flowers*  
Water

Place hibiscus flowers in a 60 ounce pitcher. Fill pitcher with water.

Let steep for 8-12 hours in refrigerator.



The variation in the amount of hibiscus flowers is determined by the size of the hibiscus flower. I've found if they're very large it takes more than if they're cut smaller to get the same intensity of flavor. Another factor in this is how intense you like your hibiscus flavor. I suggest starting with 2 tablespoons and working up if you find it isn't intense enough.

Dr. Gregor has several other videos exploring the benefits of hibiscus tea. They are all worth the time to watch. If you watch the rest of the videos, you might notice, he switched to using hibiscus leaves instead of the bagged tea in a later video. I never used the bagged tea because I've used loose tea for years after I discovered it has a better flavor profile.




Note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie