Peanutty Granny and Greens Salad



I developed this recipe one day when I was in the mood for a salad and looked around my kitchen for a way to make a salad I hadn't had before. I pulled together these ingredients for a simple nutritious salad that would be more than adequate to meet my daily greens needs. I'll be honest eating dark leafy greens on a daily basis is still a struggle for me, so I am always looking for ways to incorporate them into my diet that are interesting and delicious.


Peanutty Granny and Greens Salad

2 cups spinach
2 cups kale
1 cup purple cabbage
1 large Granny Smith apple
1 medium bell pepper*
1 bunch broccoli sprouts (optional)

1 orange
¼ cup soy sauce, or Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids
4-6 tablespoons peanut butter**

Chop spinach, kale, and purple cabbage into bite size pieces. Core Granny Smith apple and chop into small pieces. Remove seeds and stem from green pepper and chop into small pieces.

Mix together in a large serving bowl. Add broccoli sprouts if using.

Juice the orange using a citrus juicer. Pour juice and pulp into a small bowl being careful to remove any seeds. Add soy sauce and whisk together. Add peanut butter 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking after each addition until desired consistency is met. It may take slightly less or slightly more depending on how juicy the orange is.

Pour dressing over salad items and toss to coat.

Serve.


This salad is filling enough to make a nice, light dinner all by itself. It can also be combined with myriad entrees and soups as a side salad.









* Any bell pepper will work in this recipe. The red adds a nice punch of color, but feel free to use green, red, yellow, or orange.

**I usually use homemade peanut butter, but I had this on hand this time.

Note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits