Mocha Banana Bread


This is one of several versions of banana bread I've created over time. I like to play with the ingredients in classic recipes. I don't make this particular banana bread as often as some others, but I always enjoy it when I do. Combining bananas, chocolate, and coffee just seemed natural. This banana bread makes a good breakfast, a great afternoon snack with tea or coffee, and a satisfying dessert when served with some berries on the side. I also like to toast slices after the first day. The toasted Mocha Banana Bread kind of reminds me of French Toast.


Mocha Banana Bread

1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1 tablespoons hot water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup mashed banana (approximately 3)
¼ cup molasses*
¼ cup maple syrup*
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup cold espresso
1 cup almonds (optional)
¼ cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix together ground flaxseeds and hot water. Set aside to thicken.

Sift together flours, baking soda, cacao powder, and spices in a large bowl.

Combine mashed banana, flaxseed mixture, sweeteners, plant-based milk, peanut butter, vanilla, and coffee in a medium mixing bowl.

Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until all the dry ingredients are moistened evenly.

Fold in almonds and/or chocolate chips, if using.

Spoon batter into a loaf pan.*** Distribute evenly. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let bread cool in pan for 30 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and carefully invert onto a cooling rack

Fully cool before slicing.

* I wrote this recipe before I started using date sugar, so I suppose you could substitute date sugar for one or both of the sweeteners. I like to use molasses because it has more nutritional value than most sugars as does date sugar. I combine maple syrup with molasses because the maple syrup lightens the heaviness of the molasses.

** I used hazelnut milk because it's what I had in the refrigerator, but any plant-based milk should work fine.

*** If using a cast iron loaf pan (I do sometimes), place it in the oven while the oven is preheating. Get it out to put the batter in. Proceed as stated.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits