Pumpkin Muffins

I woke up craving pumpkin muffins this morning, so I decided they would be this week's recipe. I usually prefer to make the recipe for the blog earlier in the week, but this week hasn't been conducive to that. So here we are. I couldn't find the previous pumpkin muffin recipe I wrote, so I rewrote it this morning and made them. I know this isn't my original recipe, but I'm happier with this one than my previous one.


Pumpkin Muffins

2 tablespoons ground flax seeds

2 tablespoons hot water
½ cup maple syrup**
2 cups spelt flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup pecans broken into pieces, optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Stir together flax seeds and hot water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.

Combine spelt flour, baking powder, and the spices in a medium bowl.

Mix together pumpkin, flax seed mixture, maple syrup, and molasses in a large bowl.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Gently mix together until dry ingredients are incorporated being careful to not over mix.***

Fold in pecans, if using.

Line muffin pan with unbleached, compostable liners. Fill muffin cups approximated two-thirds full. Bake 22-24 minutes.

Remove from oven. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Move to a cooling rack and further cool for 5-10 minutes.


* I use canned pumpkin in this recipe because I generally make these last minute and don't want to take the time to cook pumpkin down to the right texture to use. I'm sure you could if you so desired.

**I use maple syrup in this recipe because the maple flavor complements the pumpkin; however, you could also choose to use date sugar or molasses.

*** Batter will be very wet.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits