Chickpea Cornbread


I'd love to claim I developed this cornbread as an attempt to create a gluten-free cornbread, but the truth is I started to make cornbread and then discovered I was out of whole wheat flour and spelt flour, my two go-to flours for baking... So I grabbed what I had in the pantry and hoped it would work - chickpea flour. And I liked it so much I wrote the recipe down. I don't make it often, but it makes a nice change once in a while.



Chickpea Cornbread

2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
2 tablespoons hot water
2 cups hazelnut milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup chickpea flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup hazelnut pulp
¼ cup date sugar*
8 drops hot sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a round 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet** in the oven to heat while oven preheats.

Combine flaxseeds and hot water. Stir together. Set aside to thicken.

Whisk together hazelnut milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.

Mix together cornmeal, chickpea flour, and baking soda.
 
Mix flaxseed mixture and hazelnut milk mixture in a large bowl. Mix in hazelnut pulp. Add in date sugar and hot sauce.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until well combined being careful not to overmix.

Remove cast iron skillet from the oven. Pour batter into the pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Side will pull away from the pan.




* You can use up to a 1/2 cup of date sugar if you like your cornbread a little sweeter. That's what my original recipe used, but it was a bit sweeter than I like, so I cut it back. 

** I suppose you could use whatever pan you like to make your cornbread in, but to me cornbread is always made in a cast iron skillet... I guess it's the country girl in me.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits