Black-eyed Pea Stew

I hadn't made Black-Eyed Pea Stew for quite a while, and as soon as I tasted this I wondered why. I guess because I don't regularly think to buy black-eyed peas. But, I think I need to add this one into regular rotation. As I made this recipe the other night, I kept thinking about how easy it is to get into a rut even when you enjoy cooking and creating new recipes. I often make the same recipes every week or at least every other week until I get bored, not with the eating but with the cooking.

Black-Eyed Pea Stew

2 cup dried black-eyed peas
1 small leek
1 small green pepper
1 medium carrot
4 medium button mushrooms
8 small purple potatoes
1 clove garlic
1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley
2 Tablespoons ground flax seed
2 teaspoons dill weed
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1 teaspoon fennel seed
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
6 cups vegetable stock
1 small can tomato paste

Soak black-eyed peas overnight, for a minimum of 8 hours. Drain and set aside.

Chop the leek, green pepper, carrot, purple potatoes, and mushrooms.

Mince the garlic and chop the parsley. Set aside

Heat a small amount of water in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the flax seed and allow to cook for a minute or so. Stir in dill weed, paprika, caraway seed, fennel seed, and black pepper. Allow to cook for a minute or so until spice mixture begins to thicken slightly.

Add leeks and green peppers. Allow to cook for a minute. Stir in carrot and purple potatoes. Add mushrooms. Put lid on pan. Allow to cook for 2 minutes.

Stir in black eyed peas.

Add vegetable stock. If liquid doesn’t cover the vegetables and peas, add more until just covered.

Cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until black-eyed peas are soft.

Stir in tomato paste. Cook 10-15 minutes more.

Stir in garlic and parsley.

Serve.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits