Chocolate Chip Cherry Avocado Cream

Last fall I started thinking about the ice cream alternatives I saw in groceries stores designed for vegans. I usually just avoid that section because eating a small bowl of frozen mango and/or cherries satisfies the same need for a frozen dessert, at least for me. As I thought about it I started to wonder how hard it would be to make my own ice cream alternative. So I bought several varieties to taste. Most were far too sweet for me, but they had some interesting textures and ingredients. I started to experiment with some ideas. This was the first one we really liked.


Chocolate Chip Cherry Avocado Cream

2 ripe avocados
2 frozen bananas*
2 cups frozen cherries*
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup vegan chocolate chips**

Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Spoon avocado into a food processor. 

Cut bananas into chunks and add to food processor.

Add cherries, vanilla, and maple syrup.

Process until smooth.

Spoon into a bowl. Stir in chocolate chips.

Will resemble a soft serve ice cream and can be served right away if desired.

Cover and place in the freezer to firm up.

Store in the freezer.***







* Using frozen cherries and bananas really help the texture comes together.

** You could use cacao nibs or carob chips if you prefer. Because I cut the sweetener in this and use such a small amount of chips, the amount of sugar per serving is quite small.

*** Will likely need to set on the counter to soften a bit on subsequent servings.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits