Spicy Apple Cider Muffins


This recipe came out of one of those moments when I wanted muffins and realized I didn't have enough plant-based milk left to make it. I did however have some apple cider in the refrigerator. So... I thought for a few minutes and decided let's see what happens. I made the muffins and rather liked the end result. I'm sure these aren't quite as healthy as some other muffins I've made, but they taste quite good.



Spicy Apple Cider Muffins

2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
2 tablespoons hot water
2 cups spelt flour*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon matcha (optional)
½ cup date sugar
1 ¼ cups apple cider
1 medium apple
½ cup walnuts or pecans, broken into small pieces**

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or silicone liners.

Mix flaxseeds and hot water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.

In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, matcha, and date sugar.

Grate apple.

In a small mixing bowl mix together apple cider, plant-based milk, and flaxseed mixture. Add the grated apple. Stir together.
 
Pour liquid mixture into center of dry ingredients.

Gently combine wet ingredients and dry ingredients until all dry ingredients are moistened being careful not to overmix.

Fill each muffin cup three-quarters of the way to the top.

Bake for 22-26 minutes or until a chopstick or toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Let muffins cool completely, about 20 minutes, before serving.

* I like to use spelt flour in muffins because I like the texture better than whole wheat, but you could also use whole wheat flour or a whole wheat pastry flour.

** The first time I made these I used walnuts and they worked well. The second time I was out of walnuts, so I used pecans which tasted equally as good.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Spelt Biscuits

Mango Smoothie