Berry Cherry Quinoa Porridge

I came up with this recipe one day when I wanted to make quinoa for breakfast but didn't have enough quinoa. I added some spelt flakes I had in the pantry to make up the difference. Sometimes that's what we have to do. Look in the pantry and make things work. I jotted down the recipe and promptly forgot about it until recently when I looked through the recipe workbook I keep in the kitchen. I saw it and decided to make it again to verify it worked and to share it if it did. So, here it is!



Berry Cherry Quinoa Porridge

½ cup quinoa
½ cup spelt flakes*
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ cups water
½ cup blueberries**
½ cup cherries**

Pour enough water in a small pan to cover bottom of pan. Add flaxseeds. Stir. Add spices and stir.

Add quinoa and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes

Add spelt flakes. Simmer 5 more minutes until flakes soften.

Stir in blueberries and cherries. If using frozen blueberries and cherries, allow to simmer long enough to thaw and warm through, about 2-4 minutes.

Serve.

*I've also used barley and rye flakes at different times. Both worked just as well.

** You can use fresh or frozen berries and cherries. You can also substitute any berry you'd like.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits