Blueberry Chocolate Chip Scones

The past few weeks have been rough on this blog... Sighs! Every time I went to make a recipe for it, I was missing ingredients. I have no problem substituting ingredients when cooking for my household, but I don't like to when I'm cooking for the blog. I don't want to create confusion. Normally, I'd just run to the store and pick up what I needed, but that seemed like a luxury during a pandemic, so, I just didn't post anything. 

Finally this week I managed to have all the ingredients to make something,  Blueberry Chocolate Chip Scones. This version uses whole wheat flour which makes them denser than we normally think of when we think of scones.


Blueberry Chocolate Chip Scones

1 cup almond milk*

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
2 tablespoons hot water
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cardamom
½ cup date sugar
¾ cup almond pulp* + ¼ cup almond milk**
1 cup wild blueberries***
2 tablespoons cacao nibs or chocolate chips****

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat.

Whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar in measuring cup or small bowl. Set aside.

Mix together flaxseeds and hot water. Set aside.

Mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and date sugar.

Mix flaxseed mixture and vanilla into almond milk mixture.

Stir together almond pulp and almond milk.

Cut almond pulp into the flour mixture.

Add milk mixture and stir until just moistened. Be careful not to overmix.*****

Gently fold in blueberries and cacao nibs.

Scoop scones onto the baking sheet. An ice-cream scoop can make this easier by giving them a uniform shape.

Bake for 20-24 minutes until golden brown.

Allow scones to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking rack and allow to cool completely.

*I have also made these scones with hazelnut milk and hazelnut pulp. Both work equally well.

** Adding a bit of almond milk to the almond pulp will make it a bit creamier which makes it mix with the flour mixture a bit better. If your almond pulp is already creamier, this won't be necessary.

***I use Trader Joe's organic wild blueberries for this recipe because I like the size better than a traditional blueberry for a scone. They're very tiny, so they spread out more, don't split the dough, and taste yummy.

****While this recipe implies from the title, the chocolate chips or cacao nibs are necessary, you can leave them out if you just want blueberry scones. No other changes are necessary.

*****I always think I've overmixed this dough - every single time. And then it turns out fine, so while it is important to not overmix it, don't panic if it goes from seeming like it will never come together to suddenly completely together and thick.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits