Pumpkin Cake

Confession: I used to hate pumpkin cake, but I've come to realize it wasn't so much the cake as the cream cheese frosting that topped it. 

So when I first started thinking about making a pumpkin cake, I wasn't sure why. I kept thinking back to the few times I ate it when I was younger and cringing, but I decided to move forward anyway. I came up with this recipe for a vegan pumpkin cake. I really like it. It's not super sweet. The spices don't overwhelm the pumpkin. The texture might be a bit denser than many are used to, but I prefer the slightly denser texture. It's particularly good paired with a cup of coffee or a cup of black tea.


Pumpkin Cake

½ cup maple syrup*
1 avocado
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can pumpkin puree
1 ½ cups spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a square baking dish with parchment paper.


Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices in a medium bowl. Set aside. 

In a large bowl, blend together the maple syrup and avocado with an immersion blender. Stir in pumpkin and vanilla.



Gradually beat in flour mixture. Fold in the pecans.

Spread batter in pan.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.


Move onto a baking rack and allow to cool completely.

Serve.



* Maple syrup doesn't have the nutritional value of the date sugar I usually use, but it worked better for the flavor profile of this pumpkin cake.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits