Creamy Peachy Spelt Berries

This recipe was inspired by a packaged oatmeal I used to eat many years ago. I think it was called Peaches -n- Cream, but I can't remember for sure. One day I was looking in my freezer to see what fruit I had because I was a bit bored with my usual oats. I saw some peaches and that old breakfast popped into my mind. Then I saw I had some hazelnut milk left in the refrigerator, and I decided to see what would happen. My first attempt included blueberries and tasted good but wasn't what I was looking for. I removed the blueberries and played with the proportions of a few other ingredients. The result was this recipe.  I will likely share the blueberry version eventually as well.

Creamy Peachy Spelt Berries

1 cup spelt berries*
2 cups hot water
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon amla powder
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
2 tablespoons dried mulberries
2 dried bananas
¾ cup hazelnut milk**
10 ounces peaches***
4 teaspoons fruit infused vinegar****
4 tablespoons pecans*****
½ teaspoon hemp seeds

Add spelt berries to a small saucepan. Add water to pan. Cover. Let soak for at least 45 minutes. Longer is better.******

Add spices and flax seeds. Stir together. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer. Cook 30-40 minutes until spelt berries are tender.
 
While spelt berries are cooking, slice dried bananas into chunks. 

Add dried fruit to spelt berries. Cook 4-6 minutes until fruit has hydrated.
  
Add hazelnut milk and peaches. Cook until peaches are heated through.

Spoon into bowls. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of vinegar over each bowl. Top with pecans and hemp seeds.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

* Spelt berries are much like oat groats only they are chewier and take longer to soak and cook to tenderness.

** I have used hazelnut milk eat time I have made this, but I think almond milk would probably work just as well. I fully intend to try it with almond milk at some point.

*** I have only used frozen peaches in this recipe because I like to keep my fresh peaches to eat on their own. I am sure fresh peaches would work just as well though.

**** I used a raspberry balsamic vinegar because it was what I had in the refrigerator; however, I'm anxious to try the peach infused vinegar I'm currently making.

***** Pecans are particularly good with this mix, but almonds also work well.

****** Spelt berries can be soaked overnight if desired. I rarely remember to put them in water the night before I want to make them. They will be softer and take a little less time to cook. If you soak them less than 45 minutes, they will take at least 10-15 minutes longer to cook.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits