Dragon Fruit Oat Groats

I first tried Dragon Fruit several years ago in Hawaii. I liked it okay but didn't think much more about it after I got home. 

When I found frozen Dragon Fruit in the grocery store, I bought some. I didn't know what I was going to do with it, but I bought it. Maybe it sparked a memory of that wonderful trip. I'm not sure. I brought it home. 

Eventually, I decided to try it in a smoothie. It worked well there. Then one day I grabbed it as I was getting out frozen cherries for my oats. I started to put it back and then decided to give try it with my oats. I actually found I liked it in my oats, and thus I created this recipe.

Dragon Fruit Oat Groats

1 cup oat groats
2 cups hot water
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons dried Goji berries
2 dried bananas, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon dried barberries
2 teaspoons cacao nibs
1 cup frozen dragon fruit
½ cup frozen cherries
4 teaspoons cherry infused balsamic vinegar*
4 tablespoons pecans
½ teaspoon hemp seeds

Add oat groats to a pan. Add water to pan. Cover. Let soak for at least 30 minutes.

Add spices and flax seeds. Stir together. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer. Let cook until groats are tender. 

Add dried fruit and cacao nibs. Cook 4-6 minutes until fruit has hydrated.  Add dragon fruit and cherries. Cook until dragon fruit and cherries are heated through.

Spoon into bowls. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of vinegar over each bowl. Top with pecans and hemp seeds.

Note: I use organic ingredients whenever possible.

* I'm fairly certain most fruit infused vinegars would work fine with this. The cherry is very nice, but I'm also anxious to try a few others I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits