Wintery Granola

I named this recipe Wintery Granola because the flavor profile reminded me of eating apple pie or drinking hot spiced apple cider on a winter day. 

I first made it on a rainy Autumn day because I found dried apples in the pantry and apple cider in the refrigerator. 

I made Wintery Granola yesterday to satisfy a craving and decided to go ahead and share it even though it's obviously not winter. I like to eat this granola any time of the year, but it always reminds me of winter... 


Wintery Granola


½ cup spelt flakes

½ cup rye flakes
½ cup barley flakes
½ cup triticale flakes
½ cup kamut kharosan flakes
½ cup thick rolled oats
1 cup dried apples cut, into small pieces
2 dried whole bananas, cut into pieces
1 cup almonds
¼ cup goji berries
½ cup dried blueberries
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup maple syrup
1 cup apple cider

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

Mix together grains, almonds, dried fruit and spices in a large mixing bowl.

Whisk together sweeteners with apple cider.

Pour over dry ingredients. Stir together until well mixed.

Spread in an even layer in a sheet pan.

Bake until grains start to crisp, approximately 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

Allow to cool completely in pan stirring once or twice. 

Store in an airtight container.

Note: If a grain isn't available, substitute with one of the other grains. I like to use this mix of grains because I think it's more interesting than just using one.



Note: one of my favorite ways to eat granola is as a bowl of cereal in hazelnut or almond milk.








Note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can find, so I rarely include the word "organic" in my list of ingredients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Cranberry Water

Mango Smoothie

Spelt Biscuits